The name of Koh Phangan comes from the word ‘Ngan’, the southern dialect meaning ‘sand bar’, because there are many sand bars offshore around the island. Ko Pha Ngan has been a long time favorite of past kings of Thailand. Specifically Rama V, or Chulalongkorn that had visited Koh Phangan 14 times during his reign. There are many Thai’s from all over Thailand, who moved here to start a tourism related business. Most inhabitants live in Thong Sala, the main gateway into the Island. Standard Thai is used as the official language but the southern dialect is more widely spoken among the local people. English is understood in business circles and tourist areas. The most important business activity of Koh Phangan is the coconut production. Each month Koh Samui and Koh Phangan produce more than 1 million coconut exported to Bangkok. Other prominent island activities are fishing and of course the growing tourism business.
The most natural and pleasant island
The most exciting island
Koh Phangan is also the fifth largest island of Thailand and is covering a total of 168 square kilometers. Over half of the island is a protected natural reserve, unspoiled rainforest and its mountainous granite protects the tourism development to happen too fast. Meaning that the beautiful beaches and mist covered mountain tops remain pristine and ready for your enjoyment.
Around 95 per cent of the Island’s population are Buddhists and it plays a very significant role in their daily life. Buddhism inevitable involves almost every occasion such as birthdays, marriages, moving to a new house, funerals, opening business offices and buying new vehicles etc. All religions come together in profound respect. You will find temples, places of Catholic worship, Chinese temples and a mosque. Koh Phangan sounds with relaxed atmosphere and friendliness of local people with whom it is easier to network. The island has more than thirty white sand beaches not to mention the myriad of small deserted beaches, some of which appear and disappear with the tides. Koh Phangan has always been a favorite place for relaxation, reflection and spirituality. Koh Phangan now has a variety of facilities with a range of services and activities as wide and varied. This is the meditation center, through the Yoga centers and other institutions dealing with the body and mind, ultimately towards more traditional relaxation centers such as spas, sauna and traditional massage.
- Area: about 168 km²
- Province: Surat Thani
- From Bangkok to Surat Thani (DonSak Pier): about 500 km. 6-7 hours drive.
- From mainland (Don Sak pier) to Koh Phangan: about 60 km.
- From Koh Samui: about 15 km.
- From Koh Tao: about 35 km
- Population: approximately 14,000 people living in Koh Phangan.
- Main town: Thong Sala
- Highest Point: Khao Ra, 630m asl.
- Climate: lowest 20c, highest 35c.
- Religion: around 95 per cent of the Island’s population are Buddhists.
- Language: Thai, English In touristic areas.
- Koh Pha Ngan has two sister islands: the larger Koh Samui to the south and the smaller Koh Tao to the north.
Activities in Koh Phangan
The full moon is an all-night dance music beach party combination of superb resident and guest international DJ. that takes place on the island of Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand. Haad Rin is the beach location where the full moon party takes place on full moon nights every month; it is advertised on many Internet websites as one of the largest parties in the world . The Full Moon Party has been running for over 25 years after a group of backpackers discovered the Full Moon was best seen on Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand. Koh Phangan is famous for the Full Moon Party. This world famous beach party brings thousands lovers party to the Island.
The area is Covered by artist’s UV decorations, there are visuals projected on two big screen, there is also a fire show across from the main dance floor. Half Moon is Famous for its good music. It provides an original blend of tribal house and trance beats for an unbeatable party night. All music is mixed live and the party showcases the latest remixes and unreleased tracks from our private studio and worldwide connections. The area is Covered by artist’s UV decorations, there are visuals projected on two big screen, there is also a fire show across from the main dance floor. And also Jungle Party, Pirate Party, And much more parties organize one the Island!
But Phangan is not just a party island !
Rich in natural beauty, with more than three waterfalls and National parks. After the party you can take original Longtail boat Trips around the island, visiting a few different beaches, usually the one day boat trip starts in the morning and ends at sunset. Snorkelling and Scuba diving is also a big attraction to the island. It is one of the most beautiful locations to start your Open water diving course as well as one for the cheapest in the world.
Koh Phangan main town, situated on the west coast. It is the place where the ferries from mainland and Samui arrive at the island’s main port. You will find here many restaurants, travel agencies, clothes shops, banks, Western Union, post office and even a supermarket. Here you will also find many places where you will be able to change your foreign currencies or to hire a car or motorbike.
Baan Chaloklum (other spelling: Chalok Lam) Situated in the north of the Island, it is a very quiet fisherman village with its own unique atmosphere offering a range of shops, nice bar, diving school and restaurants on the beach. A place away from the hustle and bustle of Haad Rin or even Thong Sala. There is a small temple used by locals along with a Chinese Temple on the road into the village from Thong Sala (the main port of the Island which is a 10-15 minutes journey). The area is rural with stunning mountains that dominate the bay and offer an incredible ambiance and atmosphere. You will find Chaloklum, a squid fishing village with a beautiful crescent beach. The sea here is exceptional, taken directly from the sea every morning. At night you can watch the lights of dozens of squid boats that ply the waters in this area.
Chaloklum pier : private speed boat can be arrange to pick up and drop off here.
- Thong Nai Pan has been a legendary destination in travellers’ circles for over 20 years. Beautiful beaches, towering palm trees and massive granite boulders make the area a nature lover’s paradise. Moreover, Thong Nai Pan has an excellent range of accommodation on offer, as well as great bars and restaurants. The beaches have an addictively laid back atmosphere. All of this makes Thong Nai Pan the perfect place to relax and rejuvenate. Once you’ve been to the beaches of Thong Nai Pan you want to go back.
- The two beaches of Thong Nai Pan Noi and Thong Nai Pan Yai are set in a spectacular double bay surrounded by lush forest, on the tropical island of Koh Phangan in the Gulf of Thailand. Thong Nai Pan is in the north east of the island and is easily accessed via road or boat.
- Hat Khuat (Bottle Beach): This place is still remained wild because of the distance from the main roads and piers.You can access Hat Khuat by walking by a steep path or by boat from Chaloklum.
- Hat Rin (other spelling: Haad Rin) South-east of the island. Beach on both sides of the cape, the nicest is the one to the west, Hat Rin Nok, a long sandy ribbon edged by coconut palms, and famous for its Full Moon Party.
There are more than 20 temples around the island and all welcome well behaved visitors. Not only are they great historical and visitor places but they are also at the centre of the Thai community and often have temple fairs with dancing, singing, markets and stalls.
- Phaeng Waterfall: One of the islands grandest waterfalls is a steep 250m walk up a jungle trail, but once there it is quite an impressive fall.
- Thaan Sadet Waterfall – (15 min drive from villa) – Thaan Sadet waterfall was first visited by Thai royalty in 1888 when King Rama V left an inscription on a rock which remains today, he revisited the same spot more than 10 times. The present king Bhumibol has also been to this sacred series of falls. It is a fairy tale of hugh granite boulders and multitudes of fresh water pools and can be walked its full lenght of 3 km.
Come and enjoy the nature. You will be surprised that they can come together as naturally as body and soul.
Due to its proximity to the equator, Koh Phangan’s temperature remains fairly constant all year round and the conditions are tropical. Sunshine can be found even during the monsoon season. Weather forecast can be quite difficult, Phangan appears to have a weather of it’s own. Someday it rains in the Main land North etc.. but it stays dry in the Island’s South. Weather in Thailand is fun; most of the year Thailand has warm temperatures. You could probably get away with T-shirt and shorts for 90% of the Year. This is why Thailand is popular for backpackers. Koh Phangan being an Island does have some unpredictable weather because its a small Island, but still its fairly warm all year round.
The island offers a range of activities :
Padel, Thai boxing (Muay Thai), the Archery (Archery), windsurfing (windsurfing), kite (or kiteboard or kitesurf), Wake Boarding, the jet ski , sailing (sailing boat), the canoeing (kayaking), mountain biking, jungle treks, Boat tour Island, quad , kayaking, the fitness gym, diving, snorkelling, fishing, deepsea fishing, hiking, horseback riding, of Paintball, the Elephant rides , an adventure course with a zip line, massage courses, spa treatments. Yoga, retreat center, and cooking , etc …
You will also have the opportunity to explore the beautiful Angthong Marine Park (and perhaps the opportunity to camp on the small Island of Koh Mae Ko, among others) with the various circuits that will offer on-site agencies.
Please feel free to be in touch and ask about favorite restaurants, local attractions, or activities and others, It would be a pleasure to share any suggestions with you.